Garden Design Ideas in Metairie and New Orleans
Garden Design Ideas
Designing your garden should be a relaxing experience and fun. You can embark on the adventure yourself or get the help of a landscape architect. Either way, you can get that beautiful garden you've always dreamed about. Cobblestone pathways, water fountains, small ponds, green labyrinths and beautiful flowers are some of the elements to consider when designing your garden. Here are five great garden design ideas to help you get started.
- Plant Some Rambling Vines: Growing showiest vines like Clematis is one great way of adding beauty to your garden. Grow them on a trellis, in a container, along a fence or simply let them scramble over perennials and shrubs. With these, you'll enjoy blossoms of purple, blue, white or red pink. Spring and Fall are good times to plant because the weather is cool then and best for Clematis planting.
- Greet Your Guests and Visitors With Flowers: A home with flowers always seem welcoming to guests and visitors. Adorn the entrance with assorted perennials and annuals so your home keeps color throughout the year. Some of the great roses you can plant include Lily of the Nile, Snapdragon, Petunia and the Gertrude Jekyl. Put a low fence in the front if you have some space between the street and your house.
- Deer-Proof Your Beautiful Garden: As a way of keeping the deer from gobbling up your garden, go for flowers that the deer find disgusting but are glorious to people. Perennials like the butterfly weed, purple cornflower, globe thistle and the butterfly bush are best examples you can choose. You can find them at garden centers and plant them in a soil that's well drained. With these, you'll be sure to protect your angelic garden.
- Hide Your Outdoor Structures: It is a fact that garages, sheds, and some outdoor workspaces are not attractive to have them in your yard. So what do you do? Use the spaces as a setting for your flowers and plants display. Try to add wooden plank and brackets to create a shelf on the outer side of the structure above the windows or the entrance.
- Plant Blooming Shrubs: One of the showiest spring shrubs you can consider growing in your garden is the Chinese snowball. The plant grows big to between 12-20 feet tall and even in its width. It's a viburnum though it resembles hydrangea. Its white clusters of flowers will add beauty to your garden.
All these together with a variety of garden styles will shape up your home and give you a nice garden that you'll always enjoy taking a walk through it after a long and tiring day. Enjoy the gardening adventure.
Front Garden Ideas
A lot of people living in huge houses wonder if the garden can be used to create something interesting and unique. There are many different ways to create an exciting gateway for your garden. These days, you can choose from many different accessories, such as outdoor blinds and shades, to create an exceptional gateway to the backyard. Here are some unique front garden ideas to help you with the perfect garden remodel.
- Make the Deck Beautiful: Within the garden, it’s possible to define different activity zones. You can include multiple levels for relaxation or dining on the deck right beside your garden. For instance, you can choose a pergola with different plants and vines. This can help you blend the garden on the deck, and complement the overall landscape and structure.
- Create An Aesthetically Pleasing Patio: Contrary to popular belief, a patio can make your garden more versatile. You may make a welcoming extension in the house or use a slab of concrete. This allows you to enjoy bright sunlight, cool breezes and fresh air. Some planning can make the patio very comfortable.
- An Outdoor Kitchen Looks Perfect: If you like dining outdoors, and grill frequently for your friends and family members, an outdoor kitchen seems to be the perfect choice. You can use a standard countertop and other elements, such as closed storage and separate side burner. This enhances your overall cooking experience. You can even add a refrigerator and skin to make everything more convenient.
- Use Outdoor Blinds and Shades: Every homeowner with a garden values some shade. When you get some respite from the Sun, you’re able to enjoy your garden space better. Some good choices for outdoor blinds and shades include mature trees, umbrellas, retractable awnings and pergolas.
- Use Outdoor Lighting: When you want to enjoy the backyard gateway after sunset, you should install some outdoor lights. Outdoor blinds and shades can be excellent reflectors when you use them properly with outdoor lights. You can even include porch lights to illuminate your entrance to the house, and provide bright lighting.
In case you have an outdoor kitchen, it’s better to use task lighting over your grill and other working areas. For dining and conversation areas, candlelights, wall mount downlights and electric lamps look perfect. You should always illuminate steps and walkways for safety purposes.
Last but not the least, it’s better to keep your garden clean. Therefore, rubbish removal is very important. You need to make sure debris, leaves and other such items are not lying around in your garden unnecessarily. With these front garden ideas, you can make your garden look beautiful.
Tips on How To Plant A Garden
Planting a garden allows you to get more in touch with the natural world. This is a relaxing experience that not only allows you to experience a larger world, but also grow your healthy vegetables, fruits, and flowers. Here is everything you need to know about planting your garden. Choose the right time to plant: The best time of the year to begin planting a garden depends on the types of plants you wish to grow. Many plants will thrive in times of the year when they don’t have to deal with extreme temperatures as fragile seedlings. This means many plants will do better if they start out in the spring or fall. This time of the year has favorable temperatures that allow the plants to become established in the soil and build strong root system before the heat and cold of summer and winter. Make a list of plants you want to grow: Depending on the time of the year, you have a wide range of plants to choose from. You can plant the full variety of flowers, including perennials and other common favorites such as vinca, petunia, and begonia. For vegetables, you can plant beans, tomatoes, peas, melons and summer squash (crookneck, zucchini, and others).
- Prepare your tools: You will need a shovel or a trowel, a rake, ruler, seed markers, watering can and kit to test the PH of your garden. Gather all these tools and make sure that in good working condition.
- Create a Map: Map out your garden on paper. On your map, indicate where each plant will be planted. Place the plants that need full sunlight in sunny areas, while those needing less light should have some shade.
- Prepare soil: Start preparing your soil by removing free rocks and other objects. Make sure the soil is loose. For healthier plants, enhance your soil by adding organic matter, lime and a good commercial fertilizer.
- Dig Trenches: Dig your trenches or holes, depending on the type of plant, in a row. Make sure you leave enough space so that you can easily walk between rows without stepping on your plants.
- Plant seeds: Carefully go through the instructions on the seed packet label. Use this information to plant your seeds. Use a ruler, if necessary, to be sure that you are placing the seeds in the ground at the appropriate depth.
- Cover seeds: Gently cover your seeds with dirt. Pat down the dirt to hold in the moisture. You can mark your seeds with a marker, so you know where things are planted in your garden.
- Water your plants: Monitor your garden and water according to the requirements for each plant. Water your plants daily, early in the morning or early evening. Dig a narrow irrigation stream around the perimeter of your garden to drain off the excess water in the event of torrential rain.
- Protect your seeds: Determine, which factors are threatening your newly planted garden. Common predators include birds that feed on vegetable seeds and small animals that dig up the seeds and eat them. To keep such predators from your garden, get an old-fashioned scarecrow to keep birds away. You can also use a chicken wire to keep predators out.
Container Gardening Ideas
There are many people doing container gardening and it is paramount to understand all the required ideas so as to do it effectively. It is embarrassing to buy expensive flowers to keep it in a container yet not aware of the container gardening ideas. There are many people who have been embarrassed by the fact that they try container gardening but their flowers wither may be because of excess moisture or lack of moisture. It is important to do a research prior to starting the process. You can consult some experts or even do an online research so as to know all that is required from you. Below are some of the container gardening ideas:
- Use The Right Material As The Holding Container: Material selection is one of the most important aspects to be considered. This will depend on the type of plant you want to keep in your container. Some plants need a lot of moisture and you have to choose the material that suits the requirements of each plant. The material should be easy to move and at least hold some moisture so as to allow the plant’s growth. Moreover, there are some containers that react with fertilizers that are to be added. Try as much as possible to avoid such containers as they will fade easily.
- Consider The Right Size Of The Container: The size of the container is also important since the plant must be contained inside the container. The mistake done by most people is considering the current size of the plant and when the plant is fully grown, its full size is not contained in the container. Before deciding on the right size, you have to consider the future growth of the plant. It should be the right size that allows space for future growth. This way, the growth of the plant will never be affected and will never be disturbed by the container. It will grow healthy.
- Container Should Have A Proper Drainage: It is paramount to have a good drainage in your container so as to get rid of excess moisture that may affect the growth of the plant. There are some instances where the plant gets rid of the excess moisture and when there is no proper drainage, the growth of the plant will be affected. It is advisable to drill some small holes in the container that will get rid of the moisture when in excess. However, the holes should not be too big such that the soil will get out of the container.
- Use The Right Type Of Soil For The Plant To Be Kept In The Container: The right type of soil is important for the plant that will be grown in the container. This is because not all plants use the same types of soil. Take your time and do a research so as to know the type of soil to use.
Are you interested in finding out more about garden design ideas in Metairie or New Orleans?